Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Anamorphic Art: Sevilla Nights




The first time I ever saw an anamorphic design was as a teenager. I had wandered into Espace Dali in Montmartre where I saw a huddle of people chattering in a language I didn't understand, looking down at a painting lying flat on the table. Someone set a cylindrical mirror down on top of the image and suddenly the picture completely changed. It made my brain hurt a little, but I was intrigued.

While anamorphic images seem like something Dali would have invented, they have a history in art that goes back waaaay farther than that. Folks like Holbein and even da Vinci were known to incorporate anamorphic images in their art.

Today, when I was putting a lesson together for my students, I decided to try my hand at creating an anamorphic image of my own. Being without a cylindrical mirror, I used my Thermos cup as a reflective surface. The image that I used was based on "Sevilla Nights," a painting of mine that was used last spring as the cover art for Valley Planet.

First, I spent some time just playing around with looking at the reflection in the cup while drawing.









To see more of my work, connect with me on Facebook or visit my website at www.StarrWeems.com. 


No comments:

Post a Comment