Thursday, March 8, 2012

How to recycle old brushes

Do you have old, worn-out, synthetic brushes lying around? Those brushes can be reincarnated as scrubbers. What is a scrubber? Only the most useful watercolor tool out there, second only to the Mr. Clean eraser. These stubby, stiff-bristled brushes will lift color right off of your paper.

"Oops! I painted right over my highlight!" No worries. Just wet the paper, take the scrubber brush to it and then blot with a tissue. The scrubber can also be used for effects like the ones that appear in the image above.

How do you make a scrubber? Just take one of those old, worn-out synthetic brushes and clip the bristles down to about 1/4 inch. That's it. For the painting above, I used a Crayola brush that one of my students had ruined by leaving in a puddle of glue.

Have any cool art tips? Leave a comment. To see more of my work, visit my website.


No comments:

Post a Comment